If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (845) 255-4334

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fire Safety Tips Just in Time for Fall in Ulster County

10/1/2020 (Permalink)

An image showing the rafters of a basement ceiling burned, charred and scorched. Be in the know about fire safety tips no matter the season!

As summer has drawn to a close and we begin preparing our Kingston, Rosendale, New Paltz, Highland and Saugerties homes and our outdoor spaces for fall, it is important that we consider how to update our fire safety efforts to complement the season. Many fire safety tips will be the same as the ones you should be cognizant of throughout the year, but as the weather turns chilly, there are new considerations as well.

Statistically, fires tend to happen more when the weather turns cooler, often due to the use of heating appliances and an uptick in candles.

Fortunately, there are plenty of tips to help you stay safe from these risks.

Fall Fire Safety Tips for Your Household

-Stay Safe With Space Heaters

When it turns chilly, many of us will reach for the space heaters before turning our central system on. While space heaters can be used safely, they are a leading cause of household fires because of how often they are used improperly. Be sure to keep a three-foot buffer around heaters that is free of flammable objects, and always unplug them if you are not in the room.

-Practice Good Candle Habits

Candles smell great and are super cozy, but they can also be dangerous. As nice as candles are, they do still contain an open flame—they always present a level of risk. Never leave candles unattended when lit and to extinguish them before leaving the room. Also be certain that there are no flammable items near a candle that could potentially catch fire if the flame burns too high (decor, papers, clothing, drapery).

-Keep Your Fireplace Functional

If you have a fireplace, make sure you get it inspected before ever lighting a fire in it. There are many issues that can develop with chimneys that can cause smoke or fire hazards inside the home. Always use a fireplace grate to avoid any accidents and never leave a fire burning unattended.

If you have had damage in your home or business due to a fire, we are here to help you. You can get in touch with us at any hour so our fire restoration technicians can take care of your fire damage.

Contact us today.

Other News

View Recent Posts