How clean are the air ducts in your Ulster County home?
The fault for pollutants is often pointed at outdoor air, but you might be surprised to learn that indoor air quality can be far worse. By re-circulating air throughout the home, HVAC systems (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) allow the allergens in the air to be spread throughout the home.
Not sure if your ducts need a cleaning? We’ve put together some tips on when you should think about scheduling an appointment:
- Allergies: Air moving through an HVAC system picks up all contaminants along the way, including naturally occurring allergens and pollen. Cleaning the ducts is highly recommended to aid sensitive groups who might have adverse reactions to allergens.
- Rodents: Unfortunately, homes are never completely sealed against rodents and pests that can bring disease and infestation. They seek the same warm and dry shelter for their families as we do. If you’ve seen signs of animal nesting, call an exterminator as well as a certified cleaning services like SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz to get rid of all contaminants.
- Mold: Mold can be the culprit in causing some health issues and because it can spread through the air, it can really get into the ducts quickly. If you’ve seen mold growth anywhere in your home, not only should you contact a mold remediation company like SERVPRO, but a duct cleaning should be scheduled as well to help eliminate further spreading of the spores.
- Remodeling: Renovations, even small ones naturally cause dirt and debris to become airborne in your home, and these contaminants can easily find their way into the ducts. The HVAC system will continually cycle this throughout the home, so it’s a good idea to get those filters changed out and the system checked thoroughly.
- High Energy Bill: The Department of Energy has found that 48% of a home’s electricity bill is from the heating and cooling system. If the system is weighed down with debris, dirt, dust and contaminants, it has to work harder to produce the same amount of air, using more energy than usual and therefore raising your utility bill.
- Routine Contaminants: In addition to these scenarios, general household debris, pet dander and dust can all accumulate with time. There are a multitude of natural pollutants that can accumulate over time.
Getting the air ducts cleaned and your HVAC system serviced routinely is important for several reasons. Call SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz today to schedule yours!