Mold: Basic Facts for Homeowners
Almost every homeowner and renter has encountered the problem of mold. Unfortunately, it’s a widespread problem in many households. Because mold is common, you might think that a common solution is all you need. But that’s not the case. Often, a mold issue requires professional services to be dealt with effectively.
This blog has helpful information about mold so that you can decide if and when to call for a professional to help.
First, you should know that mold can be dangerous. Mold spores are airborne - so there may be more present than what you can actually see. You might be aware of this if you have a mold allergy, but mold can also cause other serious respiratory problems and can also irritate the skin.
Mold can grow in unexpected places - like walls. Most susceptible to mold growth is drywall. Untreated drywall that’s more porous is an easy place for mold to grow. Mold in the walls can cause significant upheaval. If the colony has grown more than 10 sq. feet, that section of the wall will probably have to be removed.
All that mold needs to grow is water and/or humidity. This means that your bathroom is the most likely breeding ground. Often mold can be found at the bottom of your shower liner or in between shower tiles. Other common spots for mold include damp basements, crawlspaces, and leaky attics.
If you have a recurring mold problem, call SERVPRO® of Kingston/New Paltz. SERVPRO® can make it like it never even happened.