Preventing Broken Pipes!
Broken Pipes? Water Damage in your home? Let SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz help you!
When it's getting very cold out there and winter is upon us, don't be caught with broken pipes and water throughout your home! Here are some tips from the Insurance Information Network of California(2013) to prevent this from occurring:
1. Disconnect all garden hoses and other outside hose connections. If possible, use an indoor valve to shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets.
2. Insulate all exposed pipes located in your basement, under your home, on outside walls or in attics. For pipes with northern exposures, use heat tape according to the manufacturer's instructions. (Improper usage may cause a fire)
3. Set the thermostat to at least 55 degrees even when your home is vacant or unoccupied during the winter. If you plan to be away during cold-weather months, have someone regularly check your home to make sure it's staying warm enough to prevent freezing.
4. Winterize sprinkler systems according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Blowing out excess water with a compressor may be the best way to prevent frozen and broken pipes. If you have a swamp cooler, winterize it by disconnecting the water source and clearing the line.
5. Very important tip is knowing how to shut off the water supply if a pipe bursts. Quick action can minimize damage significantly!
SERVPRO® has Water Shutoff Tags that we can supply people to help prepare them in case of a broken pipe!