Do You Have An Emergency Kit Prepared in Case of a Severe Storm in Ulster County?
Severe weather can be extremely dangerous, especially when it comes about suddenly. While severe storms typically happen during the warmer months of summer, they can really happen at any time of year in Ulster County—and for this reason, it is important that you are always as prepared as possible in the event of severe weather.
One of the first things you should do when attempting to increase your severe weather preparedness is to pack an emergency kit for your household and keep it in the area you have designated as your safe space during the storm. That way you can be certain that should severe weather threaten your home, you and your loved ones have everything they need to stay comfortable and safe.
What Should Go Into My Severe Weather Emergency Kit?
Building an emergency kit is a great way to gain peace of mind about your family’s preparedness and can ensure that you have everything you need in the event of severe weather. As a bonus, this can be a great, age-appropriate way to teach children about severe weather and the importance of always being prepared.
It is recommended that you store your emergency kit in a rubber tote or one made of another resilient material, in an area that is handy to where you will shelter in the event of a storm. If you need help making an emergency kit checklist, the items below will point you in the right direction:
- Non-perishable food such as granola bars and canned goods
- Sealed water- one gallon per person per day, plus plenty of extra for pets.
- Flashlights and their corresponding batteries
- Utensils, plates and napkins
- An NOAA weather radio (some models are powered by hand, but be sure to include extra batteries if yours requires them)
- First-aid supplies and over-the-counter medications
- Sleeping bags and blankets
- Food, medication and paperwork for pets
- A change of clothes for each person in the household
- Any prescription medication members of the household require
- Cards, books and other sources of entertainment that do not utilize electricity
- A copy of insurance cards and extra cash
- A map with your local emergency shelter marked on it
- Personal hygiene items such as toothbrushes and deodorant
- Varying sizes of sealable bags and garbage bags
- Baby wipes, toilet paper and hand sanitizer
Everyone's list is different but there are key items everyone should pack. Stock and store yours today and feel at ease no matter what kind of storm could head your way!
If your home is damaged by a storm, you can count on us to help. Call us ASAP for our storm damage remediation and how quickly we can help you.