Mold After Water Damage in your Highland Home
Water damage in your Highland home is overwhelming in any situation. Due to the problems it causes to the property and all its contents, water can pose unknown risks and health hazards during the cleanup process.
If there is a concern about microbial growth after you’ve had water damage, here are some preventative steps you can take to help stop it:
Before You Begin
- Never re-enter before you are sure all water has receded, and it’s been deemed safe to go in. Depending on severity, there could be compromised electrical components and potential structural issues.
- Contact your insurance company and file a claim (if you haven’t already).
- Take photos and video of the damage for insurance purposes, including all damage done to furniture and walls and contents, if possible.
- Contact SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz asap, we’re here to help 24/7.
Begin Drying Right Away
- If it’s safe to do so, set up fans, dehumidifiers and heaters to speed up drying time.
- Open windows and doors if weather allows. The goal is to get the humidity and moisture levels lowered to deter mold from growing.
- Before our professionals arrive, vacuum up what you can with a heavy-duty, outdoor vacuum. NEVER use a household vacuum, water is not it’s friend.
Sort Items Exposed to Floodwater
- Any porous material like wood, upholstery and paper of any kind, will trap mold and should be discarded.
- Metal, plastic and glass can often be cleaned, disinfected and reused as they are not absorbent.
- Once mold spores begin to grow on carpets and clothing, simply drying them will not remove the growth. If they are to be kept, mold remediation procedures will begin.
Consult a Professional Immediately
Bear in mind that mold can often go unnoticed but will cause foul odors and discolorations. Our team of experienced mold remediation technicians will conduct a comprehensive and FREE estimate of the water damages and potential for mold growth.
If you need help after water damage and/or mold growth, SERVPRO® of Kingston/New Paltz can help you restore your home back to normal no matter the size of the damage. Call (845)255-4334, we’re available 24/7 for emergencies!