If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (845) 255-4334

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Wondering if that’s mold in your Ulster County home?

9/4/2019 (Permalink)

Mold growth found behind base molding that had been removed from the wall. Mold growth isn't always visible but the smell is pretty distinct!

The short of it is that Mold spores occur naturally in the environment, but if you’re noticing some unusual looking growth on any surface inside your home along with a musty and dirty odor, you could have a mold issue. Here’s some facts that help clarify the WHY and WHAT of microbial growth:

  • Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
  • Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
  • Mold spores thrive on moisture. The spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
  • Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return. Mold needs lots of moisture or a small water source to flourish so locating and repairing the source of the water is the first step. Usually a small, consistent leak is the culprit.

Now the HOW:

SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz and our certified mold remediation experts will guide you in the right direction to getting rid of it, and our estimates are FREE. We’ll explain the process of remediation, assist with any questions and ease your worries so you don’t have to stress about how you’re going to deal with it.

In the meantime, keep these steps in mind:

If you see mold, leave it alone. You can accidentally spread it throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.

What You Should Do:

  • Stay out of affected areas, this includes pets too!
  • Turn off your heating/ventilation system and all fans.

What You Shouldn’t Do:

  • Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
  • Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
  • Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself. Our experts use specialized microbial products that you can’t purchase in the store.
  • Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold. Bleach won’t do a thing and the mold will continue to grow.

SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business.  Our crews are experienced and highly trained restoration professionals that use advanced, specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.

Call Us Today (845)255-4334 to schedule your free estimate, we’re here to help, 24/7.

Other News

View Recent Posts