Tips to help prevent mold in your Kingston/New Paltz home.
In any home, moisture and dampness are impossible to avoid. Mold spores are resilient, and any moisture from faucets, pipes or steam accumulation will encourage them to take up residence if they are able.
Thankfully, you can prevent mold from finding a spot in your home through a bit of preparation.
We’re no strangers to mold remediation, so we’re familiar with the many surprising places it can take hold. Having a mold infestation is stressful, so we’re going room by room to help you keep your home clear.
A typical laundry room isn’t the site of standing moisture, but piping and laundry machines themselves can mask the growth of mold. To stop growth in its tracks:
- Check the connection between pipes and machines for leaks often.
- Remove clothes from the machine immediately after the cycle ends.
- Keep doors to the washer and dryer open after each use.
- Check the dryer vents—lint can encourage mold to spawn.
There’s a lot of moisture in the bathroom, so it’s not surprising that it’s one of mold’s favorite rooms. Thankfully, preventing mold in the bathroom is just a few habits away:
- Re-seal tile grout annually to prevent moisture buildup.
- Replace curtain liners and launder shower curtains regularly.
- Use a vent fan or window to clear out steam.
- Keep a squeegee handy to remove excess moisture.
When people think basements, they think mold. While they’re notorious for moisture buildup, mold prevention strategies for basements are the most hands-off of any room. Here’s how to keep your underground mold-free:
- Add an automatic dehumidifier to keep humidity levels low.
- Clear out the clutter, as it can hide mold easily.
- Insulate pipes to prevent bursting and leaks.
- Examine the foundation for water seepage regularly.
If you need help with mold prevention or remediation, our team of experts at SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz will be happy to help, call us at 845-255-4334!