Choose the Right Restoration Company for your Storm Damage in New Paltz
Hiring the right restoration company for storm damage can make all the difference and take the stress off your shoulders!
When severe weather, like Tropical Storms, move through an area, finding that your New Paltz home or Saugerties business has suffered damage, can be stressful. With the severity and cost of storm damage recovery on the rise, it is natural to feel overwhelmed. However, there are steps everyone can take now to be prepared and help make the repairs less overwhelming in case this does occur.
The most important thing you can do is choose a respectable, long-standing and local restoration company. The company you work with will provide you with valuable peace of mind and allow you to worry less about the process from start to finish. Choosing the right restoration company makes all the difference.
Choosing the Right Restoration Company for Your Specific Needs
Choose based on their reputation. If you have storm damage, you will likely be inundated by calls and flyers at your home from companies offering restoration services—but many of these may be totally fake. To avoid falling victim to a restoration scam, check up on the company’s restoration website and reviews to make sure they are both locally and nationally respected.
Choose based on their commitment to service. When many people experience flooding or storm damage all at once, there are many companies that fall behind on their restoration workload simply due to lack of resources. We have the national SERVPRO® network behind us—this means we can always rely on our partners for backup and extra resources, helping us to guarantee exceptional service regardless of the extent of the damage.
Choose based on their availability. Storm damage tends to happen at the worst possible time, but your restoration company should never make you feel like it is a burden you have called. With our 24⁄7 emergency phone line staffed by live team members, you can call us any time you need to. Even if it’s 2am on a Wednesday, or a weekend or holiday, we will spring into action and formulate your damage response strategy right away.
If you suffer any kid of storm damage to your home or commercial building, you can always depend on us to handle it. Contact us at any hour to see our exceptional service in action.
Tips to Avoid Electrical Fires in Ulster County Businesses
This is a huge fire hazard that most business owners don't think about. Use safe electrical practices in your business.
Most business owners in Kingston, Highland, Saugerties and New Paltz are likely familiar with the fire codes in order to make sure their business is as safe as possible. However, outside of fire codes, there are still necessary fire safety steps to take.
If your building contains an office where many electronics are in use, educating everyone on electrical safety is a great fire prevention strategy.
Electrical Fire Safety in the Workplace
As a business owner, it’s imperative to do your part for fire safety and educating your employees so they can do the same- go hand in hand. Have your property regularly inspected by a licensed electrician and keep an eye out for areas that could use the installation of additional outlets, so you are not relying too heavily on power strips or extension cords in their place.
Additionally, the majority of electrical fire safety tips involve cord management and the safe usage of electronic devices. Here are some tips you can share with your employees to make sure they are practicing electrical safety throughout their day-to-day tasks:
- Do not overload outlets or power strips with several electronics at one time.
- Do NOT plug a power strip into another power strip.
- Place all power strips in areas that are well-ventilated, in order to disperse heat.
- Never tie knots in electrical cords.
- Cables should never be placed under carpets or rugs in the workplace.
- Make sure that grounded cords are not used with ungrounded outlets.
- If a cord or cable is frayed, don’t use it
- Always unplug cords by the plug instead of tugging the cable.
- Don’t try to handle plugs and cables with wet hands.
- If you see smoke or smell burning, stop using the electronic immediately, get your manager immediately, this could become a fire.
- Alert your supervisor to any outlets that have loose-fitting plugs.
- Extension cords are not a long-term solution. Have an electrician install another outlet if needed.
If your business is dealing with any kind fire/smoke damage, SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz is here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we are only a phone call away. Contact us at any hour to receive a rapid response to your restoration needs.
Do You Have A Disaster Plan in Place for Your Ulster County Business? Here’s Why You Should-
You can't prepare your business too much in the event of a disaster, the more you do, the better off you'll be!
With a disaster plan in place for your business in Ulster County, it will help increase your chances of reopening quickly after an emergency- if you’re able to re-open at all.
Putting a plan in place that covers your emergency protocols from beginning to end will allow you to better prepare for any situation and make sure your business can survive even the worst of situations.
While every disaster is different, having general protocols in place you can better prepare for anything that could occur.
What to Consider When Setting Up an Emergency Plan for Your Business
-PREVENTION FIRST. While certain things like natural disasters will be out of your control, there are emergency scenarios you can prevent to some extent, including fires and some types of water damage issues. Be sure your business is up to code, conduct regular evacuation drills and have frequent seminars with your employees about workplace fire safety procedures.
-Double check and check again that your insurance is where it needs to be. Commercial insurance will often fall short in situations of emergency, which is why many business owners might want to consider purchasing coverage for specific scenarios such as flooding or an interruption in income. If there’s a sump pump in the basement, make sure you have the most up to date information regarding insurance for sump pumps.
-Keep your records safe. If your records are destroyed in a disaster, your recovery might become much more difficult than it needs to be. Protect your records by creating digital backups or storing physical papers in a secondary location so that way you do not lose everything if your business is damaged. In the event they are water damaged, SERVPRO has document drying options that can be considered.
-Keep your contact information up to date and secure. Being able to contact your employees, vendors, insurance company, tenants or landlord and other parties vital to your daily operations after a disaster is critical. Be certain you have everyone’s contact info, that it is accurate and that it is stored in a safe place. This way you and other employees can get in touch with everyone easily in case of a disaster scenario.
If your business has been impacted by a disaster or emergency, you can count on us to help. Our team of restoration experts has extensive experience with commercial properties, and we can help you at any hour.
Contact us today for a guaranteed quick response, we're always here to help.
Fire Safety Hazards When Grilling at Your Home in Saugerties!
If you suffer any kind of fire damage to your property from grilling, call SERVPRO right away so we can help!
Nothing says “summer” like a barbecue! Beautiful weather in Ulster County, great tasting food and less mess in the kitchen, but it is important to note that with fires as a concern, precautions must be taken. Having an understanding of grilling safety can help avoid a disaster in injuries and fire damage to your home.
Grill fires are all too common, occurring over 5,700 times annually according to the National Fire Protection Association. There are a number of ways to help prevent a grill fire:
-Stop Grill Fires From Starting With These Tips-
- Create a safe zone around your grill. Closer is not better. A flare-up from your grill can be quite large, or thinking your grill is cool enough to move back against the house are quick ways to lead to fire damage, it’s recommended to have 10 feet of empty space away from a structure of any kind as precaution.
- Clean your grill grates often. With each use, your grill grates can become saturated with food and grease that have become stuck over time. Brushing down your grates after each use is always recommended—not only will this keep your grill’s temperatures consistent, but it will also prevent these food bits from becoming too hot and catching fire.
- NEVER leave the grill unattended. The difference between a close call and a full-on fire is often a nearby person with a fire extinguisher. If you must take a break, be sure to have someone watch the grill in your place just in case, have a fire extinguisher ready and know the safety plan.
- Inspect the grill regularly. All things can become worn with age, including the gas connections on your grill. Because this can lead to hazardous gas leaks, you can make a habit to visually inspect your grill before each use to reduce the chances of an issue arising. If it looks wrong, it probably is. Best not to attempt danger with a malfunctioning grill.
If you have a grill fire that does damage to your home, we are here to help. You can call us any time, day or night, to have a quick response from our restoration experts. Here to help since 1992.
SERVPRO's Commitment to Restoration in the Ulster County Community
No matter the damage, SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz is always here to help!
If you're dealing with fire, smoke, water or sewage damage to your New Paltz home or business, choosing the right restoration company is one of the best things you can prioritize as you work towards recovery. You want a company that can handle the issue quickly and seamlessly.
If your damage is due to a larger disaster like a storm, you want to work with a company that has the resources, experience and training to help the entire area, but also one that is true and legitimate.
Regardless of what your damage is, you can count on your local SERVPRO® crew to make it right. From fire to water and every damage in between, we will always be there with unparalleled customer service and rapid response to help you.
What Is The SERVPRO® Difference?
Our commitment to our community in Ulster County
Unfortunately, after a large-scale disaster, there will many unethical restoration companies that move into an impacted area and attempt to take advantage of people in need. Because we are such an active member of the local communities in Highland, Kingston, Woodstock, New Paltz, Saugerties, Esopus and Kerhonkson, you never have to worry about that with us. We have been locally owned and operated since 1992 and have assisted more than 50,000 area customers with their residential and commercial damages ever since.
Our Commitment to Our Employees
When you hire a restoration company, you are hiring a crew to come into your home, handle your personal items and return your life to preloss condition, this is not something we take lightly. To further ensure you are always getting the best service possible, we only hire the best technicians and constantly train them using restoration industry standards so you can rest assured that your property is in good hands.
Our Commitment to Excellent Service
Our 24/7 emergency line is always staffed by live people ready to take your call, it's not just for show. You can call us no matter the hour to report your damage. We'll begin assembling and dispatching crew to get your damage treated quickly. When it comes to restoration, acting quickly is of utmost importance, we'll never leave you wondering when we'll get there, our teams will communicate and act efficiently throughout the entire process.
If you need and kind of damage restoration services for your home or business, we are always here to help. Call us anytime and let SERVPRO® be your trusted restoration partner.
Your Ulster County House Fire Recovery Process, Rely on SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz
If you experience a house fire, SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz is here to help 24/7.
Making preparations ahead of time in case of a house fire at your Kingston home, is a smart way to keep yourself and your family safe and prepared just in case one were to break out. Not only is it crucial to plan, but you should also have an action plan for the recovery process so you will know what to expect, who to call and be able to handle it with ease.
By being prepared, you can significantly reduce your stress and the feelings of overwhelm that can come with the aftermath of a house fire.
Prepare yourself for what to expect.
You won't know what your home will look like before you go into it, but understanding how fire causes damage can help prepare you for what to expect. Not only do flames cause charring on objects they come into contact with, but smoke and soot are airborne and can damage other parts of the home as well.
Wait to enter your home. Safety is always our top recommendation, including in the aftermath of a fire. Never go back into the home before officials deem it safe, as they will need to assess the damage and potentially stabilize the structure to lessen the risk of injury.
Contact your insurance company. Filing an insurance claim as quickly as possible is always recommended so you can maximize the value of your coverage, but every insurance company varies on what this looks like. Contacting them early on is recommended so you know exactly what to do. They have a full process in place for these situations and will be giving you helpful information.
Document the damages. Staying organized is key to making sure nothing falls through the cracks, especially when it comes to keeping track of your belongings. Create a detailed inventory list so you know exactly what has been impacted by a fire, and be sure to take plenty of photos in case your insurance agent requests them for your claim.
Contact your restoration company. The stress and emotional trauma that can linger after a house fire is something to take seriously, as it can be long-lasting. Working with a restoration company you can put your faith into will help you during this delicate process, because you will know your home is in qualified, professional hands.
If your home is damaged in a house fire, you can count on us to help you. Get in touch at any hour for a quick response.
Prepare your Ulster County Home For Storms BEFORE They Happen!
Preparations ahead of time can truly help in case of a damaging storm!
Thunderstorms are a common part of life in Kingston, but they can also be dangerous or even deadly. Just because they happen frequently does not mean they should not be taken seriously every time.
Severe thunderstorms can produce high winds, heavy rains, hail and lightning if conditions are right, all of which can be harmful to you and your home.
Thankfully, through practicing storm safety, you can circumvent many of the issues that could arise due to storms.
Storm Safety for Every Element of Your Home
-Storm safety for the outside of your home:
Storms can lead to serious household damage
that can be a headache to deal with. To prevent this damage from occurring, you can take
-Inspect your roof regularly for missing or loose shingles.
-Clean out your gutters at least twice per year.
-Bring in or secure patio furniture, potted plants, sports equipment, garbage cans and any other objects that could become projectiles in high winds.
-Consider installing a lightning protection system for your home.
-Trim trees near your home regularly to reduce the chances of dead limbs falling on your
Storm safety inside your home:
If severe weather is on the way, the best thing you can do is stay put and stay safe at home—and having a plan in place can help you make that happen:
-Keep a weather radio, flashlights, batteries and cell phone car chargers handy as part of your emergency preparedness kit.
-Designate a safe area of your home for your family to shelter from the storm—it should
be an interior room without any windows. Don't forget your pets!
-Use surge protectors on every outlet in case of lightning strikes.
Storm safety when you are away from home.
If you will be going out of town, your home still needs to be protected from a storm that might come through while you are away.
-Unplug all appliances and electronics in case of lightning strikes.
-Secure all outdoor furniture and possible projectile objects before you go away just in
case. (see list above)
-Be sure a trusted neighbor knows you are going out of town so they can contact you if
any issues arise.
If your home sustains any kind of storm damage, you can count on SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz to help 24/7/365.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing certainty and safety.
Let us help you get back to business in Ulster County
As our communities start to head towards re-opening in Ulster County, we’re all thinking towards a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water and mold, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in bio hazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a custom cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touch-points, foot traffic and congestion areas.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will receive proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – even after life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz today at (845)255-4334 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience.
Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Troubleshooting a Mysterious Ceiling Leak in your Saugerties Home
Don't underestimate the weight of water, if you're noticing changes in your ceiling and walls, call a plumber and SERVPRO asap!
If you’re starting to notice wet spots, bubbling paint, discoloration, sagging or buckling on your ceiling or at the top of your walls, you’re likely wondering where the moisture could be coming from to get to this point of damage.
Unlike a burst pipe or clear appliance leak, ceiling leaks can be more challenging to figure out and treat as there are many elements that are obscured by your home’s finishes. Here are some handy indicators regarding the two most common types of ceiling leaks:
How to Identify a Roofing System Leak
If you have an attic and you have a leak in the ceiling below it, that may be due to a roofing system issue. In most cases, a roof leak will be due to water getting into a hole or through another compromised area in the roof. Roofing system leaks can generally be identified by:
- Leaking that occurs when it’s raining, heavy snowfall or pops up shortly after a
- Dripping water that is off-colored or murky looking, as it may have picked up debris as it traveled from the You’ll want to have this addressed quickly as this water has contaminants in it from traveling through levels and insulation.
- If the leak is correlated with a buildup of ice along the eaves of your home, it may be due to the ice partially melting and seeping into the This is also known as Ice Damming.
- Attic insulation that is wet, soggy, has a noticeable dirty and musty odor or has evidence of mold and mildew, is a sign that it is absorbing some of the water from the Water-logged insulation gets very heavy and can cause damage if it falls.
- Musty smells or signs of mold around the area above the leak in the Sometimes you might notice a fuzzy, white growth or even mottled black spots near that area. The leak is providing a constant food source to naturally occurring mold spores. Once you remedy the leak, the mold (which must be cleaned first), will stop growing in an unfavorable environment.
How to Identify a Ceiling Leak That Is Due to Plumbing
If a ceiling leak is located in an area where plumbing pipes or fixtures run above it, that may be evidence that you have a plumbing-related problem. This is common in rooms located below bathrooms, kitchens or laundry rooms, which are an indicator that the leak is due to supply pipes or drainpipes located within the ceiling. These can be identified by:
- Dripping water that is clear, if it is from a supply line in the Not to be taken lightly, this water source has some potential to do heavy damage if it goes unnoticed.
- Steady leakage that occurs every time you utilize something that might be routed to the plumbing pipes above, or leakage that occurs slowly but regularly, which could indicate a supply pipe Call a plumber asap, once that issue is resolved, the water damage process can begin.
Regardless of what type of ceiling leak you have, it is always recommended that you begin the restoration process as quickly as possible to mitigate any further damages.
If you have water damage to your ceiling, call us right away to begin the water restoration process and reduce the likelihood of further damages.
Great Ways to Stay Engaged While Social Distancing At Home In Ulster County
It's not easy staying active and engaged during this unusual time, take a look at some of the ways to help!
We are all negotiating long periods of time at home during this pandemic so the staff at SERVPRO of Kingston/New Paltz has put together some of our favorite ideas of how you can stay engaged, active, expand your mind and have some fun!
-We all know the kids need a break from school work (so do the parents!), take a look at this website loaded with FREE crafts for kids of all ages!
-A personal favorite also geared towards children, Virtual Field Trips! This jam-packed article has plenty to tour no matter what your little person might love, from the zoo to the space frontier and everything in between!
-Looking for some free reads? This Open Library has thousands of free downloads. Escape to whatever genre you love!
-Craving some garden time? Check out this awesome article about getting your garden ready written by Sue Adams of our local Adam’s Fairacre Farms!
-Missing your gym? Here’s the most recent list of how you can get in your work out from home.
-At a loss for recipes? We love this website for social distancing cooking.
Don’t forget your local restaurants, most have delivery or curbside pickup available and really need your business right now! These lists are ever-changing, best to call your favorite one directly!
Our certified cleaning professionals are actively working in accordance to the CDC standards of virus disinfection for any home or business. If you have questions about how we can help during this tough time, please don’t hesitate to call us at (845)255-4334. We’re always here to help